Saturday, January 21, 2012

Moments of Clarity

In the midst of the monotony of everyday motherhood, it is easy to lose sight of our precious assignment.  Seven years ago, when newly pregnant, I had certain expectations of the joy and satisfaction that would occur during the journey of parenthood.  As is the case in all great moments of hope and anticipation (such as standing at the altar or delivering a newborn), I had images of a child who I would dote on and adore.  When God surprised us by presenting these two cocker spaniels with a Rottweiler, plans naturally shifted.  Hannah is a spitfire, at least in the dynamic between mother and daughter.  Sometimes the challenges of raising a strong-willed child can overwhelm me.  An ocean of gloom can engulf, leaving me bereft of joy and gratitude.  However, thank God there are moments like occurred today which transcend the tedium.  We attended a Chinese New Year event at the library.  Hannah received a necklace bearing the word Wealth.  During the ride home, Hannah asked for the meaning of “wealth”.  I explained that it means “riches” and asked Hannah what it means to be rich.  She responded, “It means that you know Jesus Christ as your savior.”  In that moment, an explosion of joy and pride reverberated in my entire being.  That is a definition I had provided to her in the past, so it was gratifying to hear her use it.  It means that she is retaining some of the most important messages I share with her.  She is growing in the knowledge and admonition of the Lord.  I can be at rest in the peace that God is passing along to my daughter all that she needs to know.

1 comment:

  1. O Katie! What a thrill! What a wonderful moment! I love your blog (just now found out you have one. I don't visit Facebook everyday)and YES I AM INTERESTED!!! You write beautifully! You are right in the fact that it is moments like you descibe that makes our hard, frustrating times WORTH IT!!! A friend once told me that when she gets frustrated with her children, she remembers that GOD gives each child exactly the personality, character, and traits they need to do the job HE has for them to do. Sometimes a strong will is needed for the work of the LORD. (They don't give up easily, as you know :) ) Well, I am looking forward to more entries in your blog. Love ya, Kate! Coll

    ReplyDelete